An interesting question!  We are currently grappling with this as we have had
a complaint from the Telephone Preference Service that our Development Office
called someone who is registered with them.  If you read the advice of the DPC
with regard to the Telecoms (Data Protection)(Direct Marketing) Regulations
1998 and the Telecoms (Data Protection and Privacy) 1999 regulations you will
see that the Council for Europe's definition is

Direct marketing 'comprises all activities which make it possible to offer
goods or services or to transmit other messages to a segment of the population
by post, telephone or other direct means aimed at informing or soliciting a
response from the data subject as well as any service ancillary thereto'.

The DPC says she is taking a broad view and it therefore seems that any calls
to alumni could be construed as direct marketing. Pressumably this will also
apply to written communications as well.

Incidentally I would be interested to know how many Development Offices obtain
lists of phone numbers form TPS and addresses from the Mailing Preference
Service.  The cost is quite high.

Dennis Barrington-Light
Head of Student Records and Statistics
University of Cambridge, 10 Peas Hill, Cambridge  CB2 3PN
Tel:    01223-332303 (Direct line)    Fax:    01223-331200
Email:  [log in to unmask] or [log in to unmask]

Craig Brown <[log in to unmask]> on 31/03/2000 08:39:50

Please respond to Craig Brown <[log in to unmask]>