** Reply to note from Lucinda Bennett <[log in to unmask]> Thu, 30 Mar 2000 12:17:27 +0100

> At Exeter, if an enquirer phones up wanting to know whether
> or not an individual is registered at the University, staff
> currently disclose this information to the caller, ie Yes,
> X is a registered student here.1 Likewise, if the student
> should have registered but did not, or if the student has
> left the University, this information is also disclosed.
> However, any other information (eg addresses, phone numbers
> etc) is not disclosed to the caller - and messages are
> forwarded on to the student to deal with as they see fit.
>
> However, under the DP Act, is it legal for staff
> to disclose even this limited information?  If not, could
> it be got around by advising students on the Registration
> form that this limited info will be routinely disclosed to
> callers.

My reaction would be not to answer at all.  You should stick to "one" formal
answer and refuse to give any info. even if the student does not exist in
your institution.  If for some students you say they are not there and for
others you refuse to answer you will efectively admit that the latter are
there.

My "conspiracy" mind says we have to safeguard those who may be in a
vulnerable situation.  I am thinking of divorced people, sexual, racial
harassment and so on.  We should not really be admitting to the whereabouts
of students let alone their address or other private details.

If a caller is serious enough ask them to write to you.

If it helps at all.

Charles

Charles Christacopoulos, Secretary's Office, University of Dundee,
Dundee DD1 4HN, (Scotland) United Kingdom.
Tel: +44+(0)1382-344891. Fax: +44+(0)1382-201604.
http://somis.ais.dundee.ac.uk/
Scottish Search Maestro http://somis2.ais.dundee.ac.uk/