At 21:02 20/03/00 +0000, Ian Welton wrote:
>Duncan,
>
>I have posted this to the group as it is probably of general interest.
>
>An observation.  Where a pornographic site is visited copies of the images
>viewed will be created on the viewing computers hard drive.  This can
>constitute production of pornography.  A bit of a legal difficulty for the
>company/individual.

As far as this layperson understands it, the copy of an image which may be
preserved in the browser's cache directory does not constitute either
possession or creation, as those need to be done knowingly. A copy
somewhere else, which could reasonably be presumed to result from a "save
as" or similar operation, does constitute creation. This seems to be the
conclusion of the ruling on appeal quoted in
http://www.cs.ucl.ac.uk/staff/I.Brown/archives/ukcrypto/0200-0500/msg00146.html

I'd be *very* grateful for comment on this from those who are more
practiced at reading such documents!
Andrew
Andrew Cormack
Head of CERT
UKERNA, Atlas Centre, Chilton, Didcot, Oxon. OX11 0QS

Phone:  01235 822 302    E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Fax:    01235 822 398