information that may help

EU, U.S. agree on electronic data privacy
http://2.digital.cnet.com/cgi-bin2/flo?x=dmYAgguuuwYBAguA

-----Original Message-----
From: Carole Moreland [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 16 March 2000 02:33
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Transfer of Data Abroad

Has any HEI, involved in franchising courses to countries outside the EEA,
solved the problem of Principle 8?

I need advice on what to tell our Registrar's Department to include in the
contracts with the host institution. Most of the data rgarding the students
will be supplied by them but we will be adding data and then sending it
back. I've looked at the DPC advice on Transfer of Data and am more confused
than when I started!

Would it be 'adequate' to require the host institution
  *to keep the information secure
  *to inform us and the student to whom they disclose our information and to
inform both the student and us if they need to amend this list
  * to inform us and the student about their retention policy and their
disposal policy
  * to provide the student with a copy of the informaton we supply if
requested by a student?
Monitoring will be part of the annual visit to these institutions to check
on the running of these courses.

I realise that we will also have to inform the student about our DP policy
and their rights and tell them what we hold in the UK etc. That can be done
in the same way that we inform our own students.

Any advice greatfully received.

Carole Moreland
Assistant Director
Learning Resources