Lionel, Steven wrote:

[ .... whether you can run code compiled on your Tru64 system legally
       on your Linux system of the same architecture .... ]

> The restriction is not really Compaq's.  It is due to the fact that when you
> link a static executable on Tru64 UNIX, you bind into your executable code
> that is licensed from OSF, and that cannot be used without a license from
> OSF.  Your Tru64 UNIX license includes the right to run OSF code on Tru64
> UNIX, but not elsewhere.

As I wrote before, IANAL, but this seems outrageous to me, and a reason
*in itself* to switch to free software.

You say that someone who *bought* Compaq equipment with licences to use
Tru64 and Compaq Fortran compilers and their run-time libraries (i.e.
both of the compiler and the OS), cannot run the executable thus formed
on an operating system of his choice, on equipment he bought and paid
for himself, if that's technically feasible ?

This is incredible.  A legal system that enables this nonsense is
criminal.

--
Toon Moene - mailto:[log in to unmask] - phoneto: +31 346 214290
GNU Fortran 77: http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/g77_news.html