Sure, you can process most ANYTHING by coding it into an integer array. You
can even get a bit of help with the encoding from ICHAR etc.

However, you can't apply CHARACTER OPERATIONS to an array, such as
comparison ops ( < >= etc in "lexicographic" order, INDEX, etc.) That's why
the CHARACTER intrinsic data type was invented in F77. I remember a lengthy
debate on exactly this issue at that time - i.e., whether a sequence of
characters needs special STRING operations or whether some extended ARRAY
ops would suffice.

=

Even when F90 came out, there were still a lot of systems whose default
character set was EBCDIC. (Maybe there are still some of them.) I think the
growing popularity of C throughout the 1980s forced most systems to ASCII
(or some ISO character set not too different from ASCII). But I think some
early F90 systems may have had one KIND for EBCDIC and a different KIND for
ASCII.

= Loren P Meissner