>tell me what difference there is between
            double precision a(lda,1)
    and
            double precision a(lda,n)>

The declaration of a variable length array of length 1 was a non-standard pre-f77 idiom whose place was taken by the f77 declaration of length *.  When the alternatives a(lda,1), a(lda,*), and a(lda,n) are compiled without subscript range checking, they are likely to be translated identically.  If range checking is invoked, and there is no cross-module checking, the * notation could be expected to prevent checking of this array, while the interpretation of the length 1 notation would depend on the implementation.

>1. Can anyone tell me why the ouput of the array content a in testGSolver
    is different from that of the array content a in dgeco.>

The array a in dgeco is associated (not the correct technical term) by your call to the array at in testGSolver.

Tim