"J. van Oosterwijk" wrote:

>    PRIVATE  !  QUESTION: Is M1 now PRIVATE too ?

Yes, I am pretty sure it is. For example, F requires one to do this when
using nested modules so that variables are not propagated in long chains
through modules (deemed not good for education). There will always be
compiler errors when compiling these intricate matters.
But if there is no compelling reason to do otherwise, include the USE M1
explicitly. I always to this to avoid confusion. I am not willing to
search the standard on this, and the "F95 Handbook" did not seem to give
a precise answer. But I remember seeing the above stated in some book as
a way of hiding USEd modules.

Aleksandar

Aleksandar Donev
http://www.pa.msu.edu/~donev/