Phillip Helbig wrote:

> > Here's a method without dummy induction variables:
> >
> > BLOCK_LABEL: DO

> > EXIT BLOCK_LABEL
> > END DO BLOCK_LABEL

> The above doesn't need dummy induction variables, and of course DOES
> need the label (as a rule) if they are to be nested

I don't see why a label is needed, even if they are (properly) nested.  What's wrong with

DO ! BLOCK
   DO ! BLOCK
   EXIT; END DO ! BLOCK
EXIT; END DO ! BLOCK

Notice here that if you wanted to use BLOCK and END BLOCK, sed is a sufficient
preprocessor.  Of course, that prevents you from using a label if you want one.

By now I may have lost the point of Van's original example, and be way off base
with this simple form.

Bill
--
William F. Mitchell
Mathematical and Computational Sciences Division