Alberto Fasso' wrote:

> I am a bit astonished to see you pople talking about it seriously.

Well, it seemed funny to me at first, but has led to some interesting
thoughts as follows (regarding F):

1.  The discussion some months ago had some pretty good arguments
    for the goto statement.  Even though I still hate to clutter
    F with it, enough people seem to think it is important, so we
    have decided to add it.  [Note: I was reading a Java book in
    which the author said there were two main reasons to have a
    goto: exit a loop and handle an exception, so Java put both
    of these in as constructs, hence (his "hence") no need for the
    go to.  Of course, Fortran and F don't have the exception
    handling.  And I still think something like the Zahn construct
    would be really nice--thanks to Loren for reminding us of that;
    I think that Loren's example would have the same difficulties
    in Java, but haven't thought much about that.]

2.  In the spirit of F, we put in the minimal goto, with only the
    continue as the target statement.  I was a little worried
    about this decision until the two excellent postings provided
    that rationale better than I could.

3.  So we are back where we started with Van's suggestion: given
    that F has a goto and only to a continue, would it be useful
    to have the "come from" information available, either required
    of the programmer or generated by a tool?  It seems to me to be
    a serious suggestion.

> How do you plan to handle different GOTOs pointing to the same
> CONTINUE?

I don't understand the concern.  What is there to handle?

Walt Brainerd                [log in to unmask]
Unicomp, Inc.               +1-520-298-7212 298-7074 (fax)
7660 E. Broadway, Suite 308    888-330-6060
Tucson, AZ 85710 USA         http://www.uni-comp.com