James,

There isn't much I can do to help you learn.  But there are lots of
example programs available on the imagine1 web site.  Go to
www.imagine1.com/imagine1
and look for the "examples" link.  There's a ton of them.  The
ones from the Meissner book go through everything in his book.
Unfortunately, if you don't have the book that won't be a real big
help.  But, if for example you are studying I/O, you could try
searching through the examples for the I/O chapter.  (un)Fortunately,
the examples are all in F, a subset of Fortran 90 that emphasizes
the newer features of the language.  They might not help you with
everything.  You can also download a free F compiler so you can
experiment at home.

Otherwise, there are some links to tutorials on the Fortran
MarketPlace web site.   www.fortran.com/fortran
(I don't think you need the "/fortran", but I'm not sure.)

Hope this helps.

Dick Hendrickson