Vanwormer, Laura A. wrote:
I am new to this list-server and not sure if this is an appropriate question
but I'm so frustrated and not sure where to turn for help.  I am attempting
to get an old fortran program to run on a virtual linux machine that is on
my pc.  There is a lot of formatted I/O in this program and I cannot get my
output to match the sample output.  One problem seems to be with the
declaration of an array.  Nowhere in the program is it defined to be a
character array but that is how it is used in the format statements.
Somehow the compiler or program seems to be taking the variables to be 2 or
4 characters long yet the format statements called for lengths of 6.  I
added a CHARACTER*6 COM(6,3) statement and am now getting an error message
when I compile that says this is an invalid declaration of or reference to
that variable.  Any suggestions?  Thank you.  Replies can be sent to
You can also try out the following declaration:

CHARACTER (LEN=6) COM(6,3)

Cheers,

Matthijs van Waveren
Senior Researcher
 fecit
Fujitsu European Centre for Information Technology
Tel. +44 (0)20 8606 4646
COINS: 7951-4646
E-Mail : [log in to unmask]
2, Longwalk Road, Stockley Park, Uxbridge, UB11 1AB Middlesex, United Kingdom
Fax +44 (0)20 8606 4422 -  Tel. +44 (0)20 8573 4444