Phillip Helbig writes:
 > Right.

Ok.  Looks like we are reasonably in agreement then.  You had me
worried for a while.

 > They should both [pointers and allocatables] remain, I was thinking
 > about obsoleting certain USES of them (but thinking about it, don't
 > know if that is practical or can even be done).
 >
 > GOTOs might still have their uses, but emulating IF blocks and DO loops
 > is not one of them.

Ok.  Agree in a way.  But I don't think you are talking about
something in the standard.  I can't picture any way for the standard
to say anything like that.  The legality of a construct can't very
well depend on a user's intent.

Sounds to me more like you are making suggestions for something like a
style guide.  As such, I think its a fine idea.  That is as long as it
did not use terminology that could be so easily confused with a
statement about the standard.  I don't like it when readers of a book
come away thinking that style choices suggested by the book are a
mandate of the standard.  I don't like this kind of confusion even
when I agree with the style choices in question.

--
Richard Maine