Phillip Helbig wrote in reply to Anthony Stone):
>> I find that the Sun F90 compiler flags the following as an error:
>> (WorkShop Compilers 5.0 98/12/21 FORTRAN 90 2.0)
>>
>>         call report("First part of a particularly long error"//  &
>>             " message, continued onto a second line")
>>
>> and also this:
>>
>>         call report("First part of a particularly long error"    &
>>             //" message, continued onto a second line")
>>
>> These are both legitimate, aren't they?
>
>I think so.

I, too think these should be legal.

>> The following does work:
>>
>>         call report("First part of a particularly long error &
>>             &message, continued onto a second line")
>>
>> but sometimes I want to concatenate a function result with a fixed
>> string, and the concatenation operator is the natural point at which
>> to break the line.
>
>Right.

This is an F90 way of making both the above legal without concatenation of
strings.  Suggest you speak to Sun compiler support.  (Double quotes are F90
anyway.)

>All three work with DEC AXPVMS FORTRAN V7.2-1 (Compaq's F95 compiler
>under VMS), i.e. no compile-time warnings or errors.

And I believe that this is F90, not one of the F95 extensions.

Regards, Paddy

Paddy O'Brien,
System Planning,
TransGrid,
PO Box A1000, Sydney South,
NSW 2000, Australia

Tel:   +61 2 9284-3063
Fax:   +61 2 9284-3050
Email: [log in to unmask]

Either "\'" or "\s" (to escape the apostrophe) seems to work for most people,
but that little whizz-bang apostrophe gives me little spam.