I was just trying out FFT routines from Numerical Recipes.
To my great surprise I made the observation that the old
F77 routine 'realft' (for an array of 1024 real data points)
is twice as fast as the newer F90 version of it.  I compiled
both with the same NAGWare f95 compiler and run it on a
233 MHz Pentium-I PC.  I know that the F90 versions are
written with regard to effective use on parallel processors,
but didn't expect such a dramatic loss of performance on a
single processor machine.

Can anybody comment on this or has made similar experience?

Thanks in advance for any reply,
Roland

PS: This post has also been sent to comp.lang.fortran .

|  Roland Schilling                     Home-Office: +49(89)32929-670  |
|  Max-Planck-Institut fuer Quantenoptik      Phone: +49(89)32905-265  |
|  Hans-Kopfermann-Str. 1                       Fax: +49(89)32905-200  |
|  D-85748 Garching                          E-mail:   [log in to unmask]  |
|  Germany                          http://www.geo600.uni-hannover.de  |