>> >Even if it did, there's another reason for not using "dble" to change the
type
>> >of this constant (particularly if it is in the executable section of the
>> >program) --
>> >
>> >"dble" may require a function evaluation.  3.1541926d0 does not.
>>
>> Why?  Do you know any compiler that would
>
>Would what?  Question us unclear.

Would require a function evaluation.

>> -- even the lamentable Powerstation?
>> We have had mixed mode arithmetic for ages.
>
>DBLE may be required for preparing an argument for
>a subroutine call  or function reference.  It may also be required to force
>the evaluation of an expression to be done in double precision rather
>than in single precision.

Yes, but I am still unclear as to why you believe any of these uses should ever
require a function evaluation.  Hoisting a single to a double precision variable
should be doable without a function call.

Regards, Paddy

Paddy O'Brien,
Transmission Development,
TransGrid,
PO Box A1000, Sydney South,
NSW 2000, Australia

Tel:   +61 2 9284-3063
Fax:   +61 2 9284-3050
Email: [log in to unmask]

Either "\'" or "\s" (to escape the apostrophe) seems to work for most people,
but that little whizz-bang apostrophe gives me little spam.