Apropos of the below - some years ago I came across a guidebook to
the West Indies, written circa 1860 as I recall. One section
discussed the very short life expectancy of white planters in British
Guiana, describing how it was usually attributed to yellow fever,
malaria, and all manner of tropical diseases, both in letters to
surviving family members back home and on tombstones - while the real
cause was actually alcoholism. It outlined the typical Guaina planter
breakfast - I forget the exact details, but it basically consisted of
rum, port, beer etc. and next to no "food"!

I wonder where the paper by Burnard got its "hard data" from - even
today, records of causes of death can be notoriously inaccurate in
many parts of the world, especially as far as socially stigmatising
causes go (suicide, AIDS) so I expect that all manner of "sins"
(alcoholism, syphilis?) were covered up in these 17th or 18th century
Jamaican records.

One might also contemplate the protective effects of some of these
"sins" (alcohol, sexual availability of slaves, servants,
prostitutes) being relatively unavailable to slaves, and the
epidemiological consequences of these vectors of disease (together
with drugs) being freely available to everybody in more recent times.

Tony Glaser