As Russia agrees to provide weaponry to Yemen it is clear that what essentially underlies
Russia's attempts to increase its sales of arms abroad. Russia's main motive for such
sales is commercial. It simply wants to boost its exports to win badly needed foreign
reserves while stimulating heavy industry. Foreign policy concerns are merely second to
the commercial motive although in particular individual cases it may be primary. We must
not forgot that relatively weak Russia is not the Soviet Union in its hey day. Much of the
time Russia uses bluff in its foreign policy since it lacks the clout of the Soviet.
However this cannot fool Washington.

Strategically the most that Russia, especially in place further from its frontiers, can
achieve is the pursuance of its foreign policy in terms of upgrading its nuisance value to
Washington's strategic interests.Russia's foreign policy is basically domestic policy in
disguise.

Russian foreign policy only begins to come into its own at its frontiers --and even there
this is questionable. On the world scale Russia no longer really counts as a significant
force.

Warm regards
George Pennefather

Be free to check out our Communist Think-Tank web site at
http://homepage.eircom.net/~beprepared/

Be free to subscribe to our Communist Think-Tank mailing community by
simply placing subscribe in the body of the message at the following address:
mailto:[log in to unmask]