cris wrote - 'and those who would represent the disenfranchised' amongst many other things of course. I think we live in a time of special reaction where the veracity of  the representatiohn of the 'disenfranchised' (i prefer working class) is being exorcised. In this case the splits within our spirits have created a position where we can only consume ourselves not produce. I've just gone thru the hell which is 'mind your own business' a doley 6 week business start up course, where one time the idea of community came up and i gave a wary attempt at giving meaning to find the whole class collapsing in laughter. For them community is business. The sad thing is they're right, but it did'nt start on the Totternham High Road, what was it Pierre Bourdieu said in Homo Academicus?
A while back I went to a lecture by the philosopher Roy Bhaskar, which was introduced by an academic William Outhwaite and i remember him saying 'there did come a point in the 70's when everything started with world revolution and universal human emancipation and you did start to think O no, not that again'. Which i think is representative not just of jaded, cynical academia but much worse, we are weak so weak that in many ways every day we must calmy forget that it's the end of history, or else. So those who would would if they could but they can't. Is that future perfect?
Paul
Oh I met the dystopian crooner Nigel Burch in the pub last night and his band The Flea Pit Orchestra have just releast a CD called Bottle Sucker price £10. Get it by contacting him on [log in to unmask]. Or at a gig. They've just come back from Heidelberg where they played at the 'Night of the Poets' at the deutsch american institute. They said it was patchy but the best was a russian man caled Dmitri who went 'AaAAAaa', 'bBbBBBb', to Z, but in Russian. They're trying to get his full name but in the mean time does anyone know him?