  From: Mills, Billy
  To: Mills, Billy
  Cc: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: 22 February 2000 14:51
  Subject: RE: Lyric

  Time is tight here, so forgive my brevity. I guess I mean that, in my opinion, the world is not a social or mental construct. It pre-exists mind and will continue after mind has gone. The laws of physics operate independent of human agency. Language, on the other hand, is a temporary phenomenon. A tool we use, not to communicate, but to map the world. Which makes poetry. Lyric because I like the idea of vowel music and because the poem is, perforce, a map made by a single mind. If time allows, I may come back to this.

  Billy