>>>"Geraldine Monk" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Answers on a postcard.

Hi Geraldine,

Just a quick postcard to say: having a lovely time. Not sure where I am. As
you know, I don't believe in place.

>>>I picked up a shopping list on the table and proceeded to read/sing it and
gave one of the best performances of my life.
Would you elevate that shopping list to
a. a performance poem.
b. a lyric poem
c. a sound poem
d. a performance text
e. a shopping list

My answers are:
a) yes b) probably not c) probably not d) yes e) possibly
though the weather here is changeable and the waiters stick their thumbs in
the paella.
I'd cavil at 'elevate', of course, being a party bore.

Your question made me think about found texts in relation to this debate about
lyric poems. Perhaps what we're circling around is saying that 'lyric' is a
way of *hearing* poems - not an attribute of the texts themselves. Which would
still make it possible to consider oneself a 'lyric poet' but not to write
'lyric poems'. I feel much more comfortable with this.

(And I know you all have my personal comfort at heart as you go about your
daily business. ...Maybe we should stop worrying about all this nonsense and
get on with writing 'lycra poems'. Short-looking but expansive upon
interrogation.)

latitudinally,

:cx

Chris Goode
Director, _signal to noise_
24 Newport Road London E10 6PJ
+44 [0]20 8556 4492

"God respects us when we work, but loves us when we dance."