On 10 Jan 00 17:03:20 GMT, Chris wrote:

>  Which prompts me to concede that JHP may be unhappy about the idea of
>  having to read in one direction only, or the time axis being there at all.

- well, in default of a statement from P himself we can only surmise.
There's enough evidence of P being a superb reader of others' poetry
(in addition to your own comments, I can add the testimony of those
who've heard him read wyatt and elizabethan potes) to win that debate.
As one whose read my own poetry AND (on separate occasions) that of
other people, I can at least theoretically see how it might get too
difficult for me to continue to read my own, yet I might continue with
my "readings" of others. Any musician knows that to perform is to TAKE
choices on a time line, i.e. to cut out other (potential) readings.
That's bloody difficult for me, and I guess could be for anyone else.
Is that an answer? What was the question?