     Could I ask listmembers who were at the Poetry Society at this time
     about Bunting's role, as President of the Society? I am fascinated by
     the theme of patronage which is shot through his work, from the gilded
     hands of the Emperor in Villon to the patronless and dishevelled 'poet
     appointed' (darkly ironic phrase that) of Briggflatts. As President of
     the Society during some of these crucial years, he may have been
     involved in the kind of patronage he later posited in the speeches he
     gave for Northern Arts a few years later (again, he was President
     there - I recommend these pamphlets heartily - they go to the core of
     the state patronage dilemma). Put briefly, and only a little
     travestistically: just give artists the money. Go on, risk. See what
     happens a long time later. Expect to write most of it off.

     In one Northern Arts pamphlet he suggests he tried to persuade the
     membership to wean itself off state subsidy altogether, but resigned
     because the membership was unable to accept that. Does anyone have
     anything to add to his version of events?

     I should say I've just finished a piece on Bunting and patronage for a
     book of essays on him that Jim McGonigal and I are editing for
     publication a bit later on in the year: I'm almost hoping there's
     nothing more to say! "You wish."

     Richard