|  that apart, i do echo positively and recurringly to the remarks about
| walking & thereby mapping a place - if i'm just driven about a somewhere i
| come away feeling i don't know this place, whereas if i walk it .....

I agree with this completely. When driving one is in another world overlaid
on the sensible pace world. Not that I've done it, but I imagine driving at
walking space would have the same effect: it would turn one into an
astronaut.

Some years ago, I was talking to friends who live near Truro and saying how
long it was taking me to explore the area around the Helford River because
of the difficulty of getting there from where I like to stay in Cornwall.
When we met down there, on the way back to their place they drove me at
fairly high speed around and around, showing me as much as they could of the
area; and it did me no good at all. I didn't have time to absorb
relationships of distance and direction and I saw everything through glass.
It also made me question the wisdom of walking along roads, which it is
sometimes necessary to do, if there were lunatics like my friend driving at
high speed.

I don't drive. I once had a prov licence, but never had a lesson. If I said
I once drove down the M1 without any tuition or developed skill, that might
be confessing to a crime so I suppose it must be a false memory. Ah youth
flaming youth

Lawrence