Following on from the Heaney hoohaa.  No I'm not keeney on Heaney but he's
got a nice manner  and a luvverly face (oh mamma mia is that sexist) and I
can't talk about Hugh's (is that spelt right?)  because he's too complex for
my Northern psyche to sum up in a late night email but for me the great dead
Dylan Thomas (kripes) is surely a riposte to all those who accuse 'us'  of
being left/elitist/experimentalists (as if we actually all knew each other
and all got on!) and not liking any poet who 'made it' ..was
successful...etc   I think it was David who pointed out that the 'rot'  or
obsequies (is that the word?) is within the poetry and the system just feeds
of it.  To an extent  I agree.  But surely Thomas disproves this thesis.
The great tragedy is that he was taken up, digested and spewed out (O.K. he
was a big boy and should have known better) but fame wos the game that kilt
him.  I haven't a clue how many. if any ,mailbasers love, like or hate
Thomas and I very nicely don't give a damn.  But we're none of us are dopes
wishing our own undoing or cultural impoverishment.  Bring on the kitsch.
Geraldine

Geraldine

.