All this talk about mainstream and experimental reminds me
of a poem I wrote back in the 80s which was published in my
1988 book `Horsemen'. Here it is.....

Always the outsider

I am not English; I am of the people.
I am not Scottish; I was born in Durham.

I am not educated; I studied mathematics.
I am not a UNIX wizard; I am of the poets.

I was defeated at Arderydd; I hid in the Black Mountain.
I sang before Vortigern; victory over the Saxon.

I hate the Welsh; an inferior nation.
I like America; its technocratic culture.

I don't believe in Love; I am Orpheus.
I don't believe in God; I am the Devil.

I am of the village; I am of the city.
I have praised the moon; I have swum the ocean.

I am of the Dark Age; after the Fall of Troy.
I am Rangers and Celtic; the Glasgow Saturday night.

I am the barbarian; deprived of faith and kindness.
I am the magician; living my seasons in hell.

I have come pure from the beginning;
I have become twisted and coarsened as the years sped by;
I have seen the end of everything;
And still I survive.