That was a nice post by Mark Weiss, though I should say that the aphorism
from Weinberger seems to me pretty hard to read other than as it stands. And
it would be good to hear from Pierre Joris on all this.

Not sure if Peter has me partly in mind in the first sentences of his
response below, but I wouldn't argue with anything he says. When I brought
up the notion of an "otherness" that can sometimes resist first-level
semantic correlation, I wasn't suggesting that such instances give the
translator free license to unload himself into the poem. To the contrary,
such circumstances require a more subtle and capacious attunement to the
overall effect of an image, line, or stanza. In this regard, I'm talking
about translation problems as routine as drawing out a line's "sound of
sense", which might require, for example, the rendering of a single word
with multiple meanings into two, three or more words (or the shifting of a
particular effect that can't be rendered in the corresponding line down to
the next-- examples I'm paraphrasing from Weinberger again, actually), to
more abstract issues like bringing across resonances that are tightly
culturally-bound, or interpreting the connotations of neologistic and
grammatical play, any of which can demand improvisatory approaches from the
translator.

To put the general matter another way, there would be a world of difference
between translating into Spanish, say, a poem by Robert Bly and a poem by
Emily Dickinson. In the first case, all you need is a dictionary to help you
hop across to the other side; in the second, there are vertiginous
impediments to overcome, and these may well require certain tactical
scaffoldings and hand-holds to be built by the translator. The Dickinson may
be "less like" the original text than the Bly, but it may well be a more
deeply accurate translation. I wish I could read Celan's Dickinson...

But like /PR pithily put it, I would also readily say that "I don't know any
answer to this".

Kent