>It is by chance that the evening before subscribing to British-Poets I went
>to the videotape store and rented The Patriot, starring Mel Gibson, a most
>handsome snackaroo from Australia. I put the tape into the machine and the
>picture show appeared on my color TV. Have you seen this film? The cruel and
>savage behaviour of your compatriots toward my ancestors is appalling. On
>what basis, by what right, do you presume to correct my grammar given the
>history between our respective peoples?

Gracious.

Aren't Hollywood fillums always those ones where the bad guy is the one
with the pommy accent? Aren't they deliriously free from any adherence to
ahem historical accuracy?  Can they really be the basis for grammatical
relations?

And aren't your ancestors and his compatriots chips off the same block?
Certainly, they inherited certain imperialist leanings.

Confused from Melbourne