Try the feet of arctic (high latitude) mammals...hares, wolves, etc.  They
possess larger foot pads than their lower latitude counterparts. Also, I
think that there is more webbing present between the toes which provides
additional support when the toes spread during contact with the surface.

Perhaps a "ski" in which you could manually crank out more surface area
when snowshoe ability is required?  or a ski that has segments allowing you
to rotate the front end back and the back end forward on opposing sides?  I
guess the general idea is to shorten the ski and increase surface area.