Richard -

You don't altogether surprise me.  I, too, am
still sceptical about "inventive" programs and theories in general.   I
invented "mind-mapping" for myself at school.  I abandoned de Bono as obvious
and unhelpful.  Like you I don't need random input to "think different'  All
one needs do is recognise that the first thought is likely to be "same" and
to immediately turn it on its head.  QED.  But it turns out that's a TRIZ
trick.  As are quite a few others I've developed myself which also appear in
TRIZ.   But I don't know all the engineering techniques in TRIZ (and actually
I think TRIZ is caught in a time-warp somewhere in the mid-60's - perhaps
even earlier.  Hence "composites" appears as a one-liner at the very end of
the list of Principles.  What a throw-away!) and it's also useful to have a
few extra tricks (do you deny that you learned any new nuances on your
current repertoire?).
I, too, like to be inventive.  But I'm in a different position to you in that
I have as part of my (implied) job description that I have to teach potatoes
to have ideas.  Or that's what it often seems like.  Anything I can do to
make that burden easier is to be welcomed.  But then if I can also show
people that having a good idea is as much a trick as the application of
intellect (and intellect probably gets in the way at times!) then I have
added value to one of the products of my job.  Mostly they don't believe me,
but that attitude can usually be overcome simply by saying "well, it's in
this book . . . ".  So there are ulterior motives.