It's a widespread topos. In French ballads, possibly the most famous
instance is "Malbrouk s'en va-t-en guerre" (from which we get the tune "For
He's a Jolly Good Fellow" incidentally, but let that pass). This song has
spread all over, including to Spain (in Catalonia it's known as Mambru and
as El comte l'Aronge), Germany, Italy and Portugal.

Plot:

The lady waits for her lord to return. She looks out of the castle window.
Eventually she espies two pages returning, bringing the bad news of his
death in battle.

Henri Davenson, Le livre des chansons, (Neuchatel: La Baconniere, 1944), p.
419
Manuel Mila i Fontanals, Romancerillo catalan, (Barcelona: Verdaguer, 1882),
p. 206.
William J. Entwistle, European Balladry, (Oxford: Clarendon, 1939), p. 139.

Cheers

Simon