A friend had collected some records of traditional music when she was in
France, but a few years later a roommate's dog ate them (literally - many
of the covers are illegible).  She'd like to find some of this material,
and describes her needs as follows:

"Joseph Canteloube, a French composer, collected a lot  of folk material
and used it in his compositions, much like Vaughn Williams.  He is best
known for his "Chants de l'Auvergne".  What I would like to know is if
there is a source for the original folk material he collected.  I tried
a couple of times on the web, but all I got was sources to buy
recordings of Chants de l'Auvergne. It's ok with me if the resources are
in French.  And if not Canteloube, then who is the French version of
Child or  Cecil Sharp et. al.?  Is this enough of a description?  I
can't tell you anything further, because I don't know anything further..."

Does this ring any bells?  Can anyone help?

-Don Duncan