At Manchester Archives and Local Studies, we have almost completed an HLF-funded project to increase the size of our digital image collection from 10,000 to 77,000; at present, around 74,000 images can be viewed by our visitors. The images are mainly photographs but also drawings, paintings, watercolours etc. The system we use can also incorporate maps but we have not taken this up yet.

The software is supplied by House of Images, 1 Towers Court, Duckworth Street, Blackburn, Lancashire BB2 2JQ, and is in use in a variety of other locations eg Chester, Sheffield, Kirklees, Trafford.

I have been asked to suuply for more information for the Society of Archivists' cover story for this September but in the meantime, contact me or the supplier, who have a website at [log in to unmask]

Richard Bond
Archives and Local Studies Officer
Central Library, St. Peter's Square, Manchester M2 5PD

Tel 0161 234 1960   Fax 0161 234 1927