We are just in the process of completing the first round of parish inspections required under the Parochial Registers and Records Measure 1978 (amended 1993) in the diocese of Manchester.  Due to the unusually large amount of parishes in the diocese and a lack of funds, this work could not be completed until now, and bearing these two factors in mind, we now need to look at a strategy for carrying out the follow-up inspections in five years' time.  It would take a full time archivist approximately 15 months to inspect the whole diocese, which would be prohibitively expensive, so we need to find a cheaper alternative.

Can any other diocesan record offices tell me how they tackle these inspections? - I would be very grateful for any information that can be supplied.  If you can help, please reply off-list to me at [log in to unmask]

Many thanks,

Sarah Chubb
Diocesan Archivist (Parish Inspections Project)
Local Studies Unit: Archives
Manchester Central Library