If it is true, as Maria Sienkiewicz has suggested, that people are increasingly reluctant to contribute to the listserv for fear of appearing foolish, then this is an unwelcome and worrying development.

The Mailbase Acceptable Use policy, to which Brenda Weeden drew all our attentions on 8 August, states that the purpose of the mailbase is to promote "communication, collaboration and the free-flowing exchange of ideas."  I don't think that any topic raised recently (arguably not even the late arrivals) steps outside this Broad Church definition, and no one should feel that any fellow professional is likely to look down on them or pity their simplicity. I think we would all like to believe that we were not that sort of profession.

Maria and Jude Dicken seem keen that someone take a stance on a particular issue in order to promote some debate. Therefore perhaps I might comment on Dick Sargent's e-mail to the listserv: even with Vic Gray's very welcome appointment to the Historical Manuscripts Commission, less than a quarter of the Commssioners are professional archivists, if membership of the Society be taken to be the criterion. What do colleagues think about this?  In view of the recent discussion on the status of the profession and others' perceptions of us,  this under representation of professional archivists seems curious for a body which, according to its Corporate Plan 2002-3, "seeks, on behalf of all the United Kingdom's citizens, to protect and promote the rich archival resources outside the Public Records."

In the light of Maria's comment perhaps any replies should be on list.

Oh, and finally (it's a Saturday afternoon, and yet I'm at work) a propos the curious recent inter-office rivalry as to the proportion of people's maps, I'd observe that it's not the size of any map that matters, it's what one does with it....

Martin Taylor
Senior Assistant Archivist
London Borough of Hackney Archives Department

>>> "ELS Oldham Archives Service" <[log in to unmask]> 08/18 2:42 pm >>>
I monitor the archive listservs and write an article about them each
month in the newsletter.  Two other people do the same for records
management and conservation.  I have to say that in recent months, this
job has become increasingly difficult due to a lack of interesting
topics being discussed, and those who request replies off-list certainly
aren't helping.  No item appeared in the latest issue of the newsletter
because there was simply nothing to write about!

When I first started subscribing to the listerv about 18 months ago it
seemed as if there were always plenty of things being discussed.  From
chatting with other archivists, I increasingly get the impression that
people are not asking questions any more for fear of being shot down in
flames and appearing foolish.  Speaking as a 'lone archivist', there
have been occasions when I have considered posting a request, only to
decide not to because I fear that I should already know the answer and
everyone else will think that I'm a bad archivist.  I am sure that there
are others in a similar situation and it worries me that we are letting
a potentially invaluable tool go to waste.

Back to the newsletter - I must stress that my role is only to report on
what has been discussed, and I do not feel that the article I write
should become a platform for my own opinions.  What Jude Dicken was
asking for was for someone to actually take a bit of a stance on a
particular issue and perhaps stimulate interest beyond the listserv.  It
is worth pointing out that, as far as I am aware, the articles I have
written have prompted no response whatsoever.

However, as some people seem to be completely unaware of my articles,
this should come as no surprise (and I thought I was performing such a
valuable service!).  Len - am I right in thinking that you are no longer
a member of the Society, in which case you are excused, but the rest of
you should be ashamed of yourselves.  Personally I read my Newsletter
from cover to cover at least twice!

With best wishes (and tongue firmly in cheek during the last paragraph
in the firm belief that all archivists have got a sense of humour - how
else do we all manage to accept such laughable salaries?),

Maria Sienkiewicz
Oldham Local Studies and Archives

--
This message is confidential.  It may also be legally privileged.  It is intended solely for the stated addressee(s) and access to it by anyone else is unauthorised.  If you have received this message in error, you must not disclose, copy, circulate or in any other way use or rely on the information contained in this message.  Such unauthorised use may be unlawful.  If you have received this message in error, please delete it immediately and advise us by return e-mail to the above address.