I would be interesed to know whether subsequent to the demise of the GLC there may have ocrred a "devolution" of Local Authority records in London
a. Do all London boroughs maintain a Registry and/or an archive/records section for current records and for key records /files that are less than 100 years old?
b.  Did any of the older records held by GLC go back to individual boroughs, if so are all these records being looked after in a borough archive?Did they go back to individual departments (if so have any older records been destroyed due to lack of space for storing non current records?)
c. Have any London boroughs opted not to have Registry staff or an archivist  and are leaving it up to their individual sections to keep their own records?
d. If C is the case what provisions are being made for maintaining key records from  the admin departments within a local authority?

>>> "SARAH JANE HORTON" <[log in to unmask]> 08/01/00 05:31pm >>>
Dear All

I am a student from the Archives course at the University of Wales,
Aberystwyth.  I am currently gathering research material for my Masters
dissertation, the subject of which is early archives and in particular the
evolution of the local authority record office.

I would be grateful for any information on known sources for the history of
your own establishments in this context.  I shortly expect to have access to
a collection of annual reports from various record offices over the years,
but if you have / know of any additional material, printed histories /
articles, that you could point me in the direction of this would be very
useful.

Thanking you in anticipation!

Sarah Horton