Dear All

At Newcastle University Library we are considering a new edition of
our printed guide to Special Collections. This is currently 24 p. and
gives a brief summary of our manuscript and printed collections.
>From a quick trawl of web sites (mainly university ones) I have
ascertained that most institutions are choosing to put up to date
guides to collections on their web sites with quite detailed
descriptions (which fits in with the need to produce collection-level
descriptions) rather than producing a published guide as well. Has
this become the way most colleagues would chose to reach their
audiences, or is there still a valid case for producing printed guides
for sale or to give out? Presently our guide is priced at £3.50, but is
free to library members.
Any thoughts and experience from your own institutions?

Thanks in advance of any help

Helen Arkwright

Helen Arkwright
Library Archivist