I am in the process of revising our charges for copy photographs and TV
filming and would welcome any up-to-date price lists that colleagues may
have. Technology has advanced since we last set our charges and I find
myself asking TV companies and picture agencies what they normally expect to
pay when they ask for certain services. For example, I have dealt several
times recently with flash fees for re-use of a particular image on digital
services and I am told that £30 is the norm for four uses of the image (am I
being conned?).

I would be interested in the prices other archives charge for scanning, and
whether a reduction is made in the case where an image has already been
scanned and is on CD-ROM or hard disk.

I have also been asked for copy slides of (topographical) photographs from
our collections, most of which are in our copyright. However I am reluctant
to allow this, since the Archive Service gives talks to local societies
using these slides and these people want to use them for their own slide
shows to groups. Has anybody got a philosophical reason for refusing them,
or does one just deter them by price?

Kim Collis
West Glamorgan Archive Service

the system manager.