Dear Robert
Thank you for that. I was afraid of writing just what you did because I
might have been considered too Neanderthal in my outlook. Or I would have
been accused of being too RM-orientated (add sniffy comment from county
worthies about business archivists).
What I would like to know is just how active are the archivists in their
heritage departments going to be about grabbing responsiibility for the FOI
Act? I get the feeling this will be considered too important for an
archivist - someone lost in history, that's all they know about! - and it
will be taken over by some other empire builder - like the Legal department,
or, since most of the county's written material is on magnetic disks,
Management Services (or whatever their latest titles are).
Archivists are going to have to be very proactive about this and fix up
meetings with Chief Executives. If they feed their thoughts through the
Leisure and Heritage Directorates, they will lose the game.
In the meantime I hope anybody who applies for the Wigan job points out that
they wont accept it unless it is properly graded. Or better still no
qualified archivist should apply for it, but every county archivist and the
University departments who teach archivists, should tell Wigan how wrong
they are.

Leonard McDonald

46 Weaver Ave
Rainhill