Dear All, I offer a few facts to clarify this matter, which is of some concern to myself as incumbent of the Wigan post for many years until July 1999. Until 1990 Wigan Record Office was staffed by two professional posts, the Archivist (SO grade) and Assistant Archivist (Scale 5). The Office was then combined with the existing Museums and Local History Library sections to form a new Heritage Service (see current advert), the Archivist becoming Heritage Service Manager. Following the opening in 1992 of the History Shop in Wigan (a combined local studies/genealogy library/museum/art gallery) and consequent reallocation of staff and resources, the Record Office in Leigh was staffed by the Assistant Archivist with some clerical support. Opening hours were reduced and the Assistant Archivist [myself] worked one day per week at the History Shop. Upon my departure in 1999 the post was degraded to Scales 3-5 in order, I suppose, to bring it into line with the curatorial posts (four of the seven Heritage Officers were Museums staff); I do not know what scale my successor was appointed on, but at any rate my interpretation of the current advert (my successor having recently departed), is that unqualified candidates may be considered at Scale 3. Presumably the Society assumed or was assured that qualified candidates would be appointed on at least Scale 4, though I suspect this is by no means the case. My recollection is that museums curators undertake their professional qualification whilst in post, thereby moving up to Scales 4 and 5. Bearing in mind that Wigan is one of the oldest and most respected of the ten Metropolitan archives services in Greater Manchester, holds collections of national importance and is one of only two diocesan repositories in the former County, it is from a purist's point of view regrettable that the professional standing of this post has been compromised and that the Society has accepted the current advert. On the other hand I think the Society should be offering help and constructive advice to Wigan (and other authorities where similar circumstances have arisen - Salford springs to mind) so that its archives policy can move forward. Nicholas Webb Internet communications are not secure and therefore the Barclays Group does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Barclays Group.