Dear Colleagues

I would just like to add to the gloom by pointing out that it is not only
the regions that suffer from lack of participation.  It also goes on at the
national level.  The Society of Archivists has really faced severe problems
finding replacements for its various posts (how many years did it take you,
Bruce, to find a replacement for you as Conference Working Party Chair?).
There is also the problem that for many people their workloads are so large
that they have neither the time nor the inclination to take on unpaid work.
 This situation displays the problem that professional organisations face
in their reliance on their members.

If anyone has the slightest inclination to take part in the profession in
any way such as being involved in the Society can I encourage them?  For
newer members it really is an excellent way to learn.  For anyone it
provides an excellent forum for networking and promoting your own
institution.  You may also be alarmed to learn that its quite interesting.
(But I am knocking back Martini as I type this so perhaps it's just the
drink talking).

Regards

Elizabeth Oxborrow-Cowan