Jenny

I do try to keep personal interventions to a minimum,. but there is
no debate about the function of this particular list- it runs on the
Mailbase service supported by JISC, and governed by the
acceptable use policy, which you can see on the web at

http://www.mailbase.ac.uk/docs/aup.html

In subscribing to the list you have all accepted those conditions.

Mailbase allows the large percentage of our membership from
outside the higher education sector, for which it is funded, because
it recognises the support given by the whole archive sector to
research.  Obviously there will be the occasional Friday afternoon
joke, and the owners have never intervened before, but if the
balance of the content strays too far the Mailbase service will be
withdrawn.  I also suspect that if ownership comes to include
monitoring messages for suitability and removing those who do not
keep within strict guidelines (which is the case on many large lists)
very few colleagues would want to undertake the job.

If members feel they would rather have a more discursive, personal
and jokey list, then there are several options, one of which would
be to start a private Mailbase list, for which there would be a
charge.

No more from me on this one!

Brenda

Brenda Weeden