I agree with your point about MLAC's emphasis on access.  I think the
Government needs to be made aware that there is a duty to conserve and
interpret as well as to make material accessible.  Some of the statements
that Mr Evans has made do not augur well for the future and I wonder how
much he realises that archives and museums do differ to libraries in many
respects.

As to the other thread and archives being 'an obscure cultural backwater,
populated by eccentric recluses.'  Well, I have to say that I really think
this view is a legacy of the past and could be fair criticism.  I don't wish
to cause offence or stir anything up, but I think the profession in the past
has suffered from too many people who were only too happy to sit quietly in
the corner cataloguing and doing nothing to push or promote their chosen
profession.  Times have changed and are continuing to change, which is only
to the good.  But it will take time to change an image which by and large
archivists themselves have created.

Alan