As the Archives Adviser to Resource, I feel that I should respond to the
recent messages posted from Robert Chell and other colleagues.

Whilst Robert's message raises some valid and important issues, It would not
true be to assert that Resource's interests and concerns lie in a very
narrow definition of culture. Museums, archives and libraries are all
information creators and providers, and that information needs to be managed
effectively and efficiently to meet the needs of users and creators alike.
Resource was born from the former Museums & Galleries Commission and
Libraries and Information Commission and information is very much a part of
our agenda.

We are actively considering information policy and records management issues
where they cut across the domains. I would point to our place at the table
of IDAC, the Interdepartmental Committee on Archives, where we have
contributed to the development of the Action Plan to the Government Policy
on Archives. I will be liaising closely with the team that is drafting the
Resource Stewardship Strategy which will be wide ranging, setting out the
basis for the sustainable use of collections, covering both current
collections and digital collections yet to be created. I am currently
developing the Resource Archives Framework, which will address issues of
records management, and the core business value of archives.

Resource is funded through the DCMS, and our priorities for our first year
to some degree reflect that relationship. We are tasked to provide strategic
direction and advocacy to enable museums, archives and libraries to develop
with confidence and purpose. We have been asked initially to look at a
number of key issues, such as the relationship between national and
non-national institutions, stewardship, education and learning, and the
potential and development of ICT. Our work programmes are set out in our
Manifesto which is available from our web-site, or in hard copy from me. We
cannot undertake everything at once, and records management and information
policy issues are being tackled by other institutions and other Govt
departments, such as the PRO which is re-positioning itself as an
e-information provider, and achieving excellent results in the field of
electronic records management. Resource is monitoring such developments
carefully, and will be working in partnership with institutions and
initiatives during the coming year where these activities meet our agenda.

If you have any comments or enquiries about our work and plans, please
contact me.

Justin Frost

Archives Policy Adviser
Re:source