Clare

Guidelines for the extended closure of public records were published in the
White Paper 'Open Government' in 1993 (Cm 2290), as appendix C. They are
available as part of the manual 'Access to Public Records' which is on the
PRO website at www.pro.gov.uk under Records Management.

Relatively few records are subject to extended closure. We open most case
files from court cases at 30 years every year. The normal grounds for
extended closure are those of personal sensitivity, where the requirement is
that the papers would substantially distress or endanger a living person or
his or her descendants. Substantial distress is quite a high hurdle. In
addition, files dealing with many sex-related crimes (notably rape) are
closed for the lifetime of the individual (or 100 years) under the Criminal
Justice Act 1988 and the Sexual Offences (Amendment) Act 1992.

All applications for extended closure are considered by the Advisory Council
on Public Records before being submitted to the Lord Chancellor.

On the face of it, it seems unlikely that a file on a conviction for
embezzlement would qualify for extended closure, unless the file contains
material that would cause substantial distress that was not revealed in open
court.

Tim
-----------------
Tim Padfield
Copyright Officer
Curator of Photographs
Secretary of the Lord Chancellor's Advisory Council on Public Records

Public Record Office
Tel: 020-8876 3444 ext 2351
Fax: 020-8392 5295

> From:
> [log in to unmask][SMTP:[log in to unmask]
> uk]

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity
to whom they are addressed.  If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager.