	Richard Schofield wrote

> This is not to criticise the editors who, as everybody knows, have a tough
> time of it, what with persuading contributors, manhandling text and
> chasing
> deadlines. But every time a copy of the Museums Journal arrives in the
> office - full colour, controversial articles and contributors, advertising
> -
> I wonder what it would take to get us to arrive at something similarly
> attention-grabbing and to-be-proud of.

is there some confusion between the Society's Journal and its Newsletter
here? Surely the Journal is the place for full colour etc, because it is
what we make available to the outside world by allowing non-members to
subscribe. The Newsletter, on the other hand, is for members only (I think)
and is the place for less formal or substantive articles and for news items.

I have edited both in my time (Journal for a year, Newsletter for a single
issue - not simultaneously) and don't remember having any doubts as to
whether an article submitted for inclusion in one really belonged in the
other. I also remember 'commissioning' (ie begging) articles for the Journal
but more because the copy well I inherited was dry than because I had
identified an issue for coverage. I agree with Len's point about
commissioning articles rather than relying on volunteers - it is the only
way to ensure the range of our professional efforts are covered.

Susan Healy
	PRO

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity
to whom they are addressed.  If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager.