Clause 45 of the Freedom of Information Bill requires the Lord Chancellor to
issue a code of practice on the management of records. A code has been
drafted by the Public Record Office in consultation with the Home Office and
other departments involved in the development of Freedom of Information
legislation. I am pleased to tell you that the Lord Chancellor has now
agreed that it should be made available more widely as a working draft.

This working draft of the code is now on our web-site

http://www.pro.gov.uk/recordsmanagement/

We have also sent copies to records managers in government, places of
deposit for public records, those in a position to assess its
appropriateness to the police, health, school and university sectors, and
professional associations and individuals with a particular interest in or
knowledge of the subject.

The first part of the code, dealing with records management, represents a
clear step forward for record-keeping across the public sector. Effective
records management underpins the rights of access provided by the
legislation and the explicit recognition of this in clause 45 presents a
real opportunity for improving records management across the public sector.

The second part of the code, dealing with the review and transfer of public
records to the Public Record Office, places of deposit appointed under
section 4 of the Public Records Act 1958, and the Public Record Office of
Northern Ireland, is intended to retain the administrative strengths of the
current system of transferring records and releasing them to users.

The present consultation period ends on 31 August 2000. I am sorry this is
such a tight deadline. It is dictated by the need to allow time for the
draft to be amended before the Bill is considered by the House of Lords in
Committee in the autumn.  Please send comments to Kelvin Smith, either by
post to the PRO or by email to [log in to unmask]

Susan Healy
Information Policy Project Manager
PRO