WANTED: NEW TUTOR FOR THE SOCIETY'S DIPLOMA IN ARCHIVE ADMINISTRATION

The Society of Archivists runs a distance learning alternative to the
university post-graduate archives courses. It is completed from a student's
workplace and leads to award of a Diploma in Archive Administration.
Students complete assignments from five modules covering a range of archives
and records management topics, write a short dissertation and sit three
exams.

The Archives Administration module includes a unit on Archives and
Libraries. The unit was written and assignments have been assessed by Nick
Kingsley. Nick is now moving from Birmingham City Archives to head
Gloucestershire Record Office and, as he will no longer be working in an
archives that is part of a library, has asked me to find a replacement
tutor. This email is to seek expressions of interest in joining the
Diploma's team of tutors.

The incoming tutor would be responsible for

*	reviewing the present unit text to identify amendments needed to
take account of changes since the mid-1990s and to ensure that it is
applicable across the archives sectors. This is part of a current initiative
to renew the course materials
*	reviewing the present assignments to see if any changes are needed
in the light of revised text
*	marking assignments submitted by students

We seek a qualified archivist with a few years experience who is currently
working in an archives that is part of a library, who is interested in
archives education, and who has some time to spare. As an additional
incentive, you learn a lot about other offices from students' assignments!
Tutors are paid a fee for marking assignments.

The number of assignments that will be received for marking each year is
unpredictable: there are currently 46 students doing the course but they
tackle it at their own pace (over a maximum of four years) and in their
preferred order. This has the advantage of ensuring you do not receive
twelve (the annual average intake) assignments simultaneously but the
disadvantage of making time management difficult. Tutors are asked to
turnaround assignments within three weeks and to provide feedback as well as
a mark. A guidance note on being a tutor is available and a marking scheme
is in use.

If you would like to express interest or obtain more information, please get
in touch with me. Email is preferred - my address is [log in to unmask]
- but snailmail is accepted, to me c/o Public Record Office, Kew, Richmond,
Surrey TW9 4DU.

Susan Healy
Course Director

the system manager.