As a close colleague of David Kingery, I am saddened to have to report to
you that he died suddenly yesterday in Rhode Island of (as we currently
understand) a heart attack. He was 72 years of age.

David was too well known in the archaeometric community for me to have to
reiterate his achievements, for which he was  awarded the Pomerance Medal
of the American Institute of Archaeology in 1998. Archaeometrists may not
however be fully aware of his prior career as the father of the field of
advanced ceramics, which brought him the Kyoto Prize only last year. I am
therefore forwarding an appreciation of him by two colleagues in the
College of Engineering at the University of Arizona.

He was truly an intellectual giant, and we shall miss him very much. One
aspect of the work of his later years that is less appreciated than his
excellent technical studies of archaeological ceramics is his deep
interest in the social context of technology - how social forces shape
innovation and diffusion of techniques. This thread runs through the
series that he edited for the American Ceramic Society, entitled Cermaics
and Civilization, nine volumes of which have appeared, and in the two
conferences that he organized with the Smithsonian Institution on material
culture (Kingery and Lubar, eds., Learning from Things, and Kingery,
ed. History from Things). In these he sought to extend the insights of
Cyril Stanley Smith, formerly his senior colleague at M.I.T. Through them
he has greatly influenced a younger generation of work on the history and
prehistory of technology.

I do not yet have an address for condolences to his widow, Lily Kingery,
but will post it when I do.

David Killick
Associate Professor, Department of Anthropology,
University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85721-0030.
Phones: office (520)621-8685; laboratory 621-7986; fax 621-2088