Query: Statistics Courses for Beginners

I am writing to the list on behalf of a colleague who would like more information on courses in statistics.  He is looking for a beginner(ish) level course on statistical methods and analytical techniques to obtain more understanding of the subject.  If anyone can recommend such a course or alternatively any useful texts then please reply to me and I will pass this on ([log in to unmask]).

Regards,

Ben Crowe
Statistician
School Improvement Unit
Education Department
Cornwall County Council

Important: This e-mail and its attachments are intended for the
above-named only and may be confidential. If they have come
to you in error you must take no action based on them, nor must
you copy or show them to anyone; please e-mail us immediately
at [log in to unmask]

Security Warning: Although this e-mail and its attachments have
been screened and are believed to be free from any virus, it is
the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that they are virus free.
The Authority will not accept liability for any damage caused by a virus.